Monday, January 2, 2012

happy new year!


happy new year!  did you eat your black eyed peas for luck?  we did.  though i had to force three of my family members to swallow a spoonful, i'm pretty sure that still counts. 

today, the second day of the new year, i'm going to enjoy at home with my family.  this is our last day together before everyone starts back to work and school.  so far, we are still in our pajamas and the older two boys are logging hours in front of the video game they got for christmas.  i'm about to call a stop to it so i can take them with me to the grocery store to pick up ingredients for this amazing soup.  i made this soup several times last winter (which is short in houston)  but forgot about it until i was looking for something to make today.  of course, every one of heidi's recipes i've tried has been yummy.  this is unexpectedly delicious.   it's so good that i am willing to get out of my pajamas on this lazy day and go to the store.  you should probably try it.



i can't believe it's 2012.  i just wrote 2010 on a check a few weeks ago.

i've been thinking about new year's resolutions.  i never make them.  not formally anyway, though i do like the sentiment of self improvement for the coming year.  during my last yoga class of 2011 my teacher said something that i believe is right on.  she mentioned that most resolutions are based on what is wrong with your life or body.  but perhaps the more powerful resolution would center on what is right and good.  yes!  i don't want to make a resolution for my whole year about how disorganized or out of shape i am.  i don't want to focus each day on what is ugly or what makes me feel bad.   giving energy to the negative attracts more negativity.  so i choose to give power to what is already good.  i'm going to make new year's affirmations.

a few of my affirmations are:
yoga has been very positive for me, i'm excited to continue my practice in 2012.
andy and i made big steps last year in creating the life we want for our family - i look forward to seeing the chickens, fruit trees, and vegetable garden thrive in the new year.   we are giddy with the hope that this year may be filled with home grown fruits, veggies, and EGGS (come on ladies!). we are also anxious to continue to learn and decide what's next.
in 2011 i got closer to establishing a happy balance between my work and family.  any working mom knows it is the hardest task - and i don't believe it is entirely possible.  but i strive to continue through 2012 keeping my family first and doing just enough of the work i believe in for clients i love.
really, who could ask for more?

try making note of the things that are already wonderful in your life.  as you list them, they seem to multiply.   and you might realize you don't need so many resolutions after all.  i wish you a new year filled with love and joy.

xo - leslie 

Quinn is the only one who shares my love of black eyed peas.

2 comments:

  1. Happy new year, Les & boys! I like the idea of new year affirmations. One of mine is to spend time with my lovely sister-in-law, preferably sipping coffee in a hot tub on a snowy mountainside, but I'll take what I can get :) love you guys, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the idea of making affirmations based on the good things in your life! I am going to do that!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking time to comment. i love to hear what you think!